Thursday, October 8, 2009

The First Stage of Goodbye

Matthew, Sarah, Jacob, Hannah, Isaac, Samuel, Rebekah (in age order)
(and I didn't approve the plaid-stripes-combo-lol-BOYS!!!)



After playing football in the front yard, the kids wanted to watch a movie with Matthew one last time before he heads off across the vast ocean. I snatched up the chance to get a family picture with all of us just as the sun was setting. Matthew propped up the camera on the yard chairs, and set the timer. We got a good one after a few tries, then we headed in to have dinner. After dinner, we sat down in front of the TV to watch The Legend of Zorro.

Later Grammy, Uncle Ty & Uncle Derek came by to pick up Matthew. We didn't let him go until 11pm. Standing around hugging, finding ways to stay and hang out, and last minute preparations kept us up later than we had planned. He spent the night at her house, and she will drive him to Camp Pendleton (CPen) in the morning. My uncle wants my mom to bring Matthew by his office on the way as well. Everyone wants to see him before he goes. :) He has to report by noon today.

As far as we know, he does not have any more leave time or weekends off until deployment. I am hoping that we can go see him off as he boards the plane or something. I think we deserve to have that opportunity.

I learned last night that he has been given the responsibility of overseeing the safety of all the squadron's equipment and gear on the way to Afghanistan. He will meet the squadron over there, as he gets to arrive first with the cargo. What a huge responsibility! I am thankful that his CO sees fit to trust him with this great task.

He's still here in the states, so I reserve my tears until there is reason to be concerned. I must keep my home and family running smoothly for the sake of the rest of us.

Thank you for keeping up with the details. I promise to post as I have news worthy of typing, or as I need to get it "on paper" to get it off of my mind.

Blessings,
Matt's Mom <3>

No comments:

Post a Comment